Houseplant inspiration for owners of curious, plant-nibbling cats and dogs
Indoor plants add life, vibrancy, and color to a home, and improve mental and physical health. And while there are lots of fantastic indoor plants to choose from, not all of them are pet friendly. Some houseplants are toxic to cats and dogs. They can cause illness (or worse) if they decide to chow down on them.
Keeping your cat, dog, or other furry critter safe is easy. All you need is some time to do a bit of research and this guide, which covers:
- the pet-friendly plants that grow well indoors
- common toxic house plants you should avoid
- tips to stop pets munching plants
- common symptoms of poisoning
- getting help if your pet is unwell.
We’ve also included a toxic plant checker that’s worth bookmarking.
12 indoor plants that are pet safe
Here are a dozen pet-friendly plants that are considered non-toxic to cats and dogs.
Toxic house plants you should avoid
Sadly, some of the most popular, easy-to-care-for, air-purifying plants are toxic to cats and dogs. These include:
- Ivy/Pothos (Golden or Devil’s Ivy)
- Snake Plant
- Sago Palms
- Peace Lily
- ZZ Plant.
A single plant can go by several different names. They have a scientific name, as well as the everyday name we call them. They can even have multiple nicknames. To make sure there’s no confusion, it’s always worth double checking whether a plant is pet-safe or not.
Checking which plants are safe
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) has a poisonous plant checker. It’s an extensive list of indoor and outdoor plants that are toxic to cats, dogs, and horses. If you have any doubts, type the name of the plant you want to check in the search box. Using the scientific name is more accurate. You’ll quickly see whether or not you’ve got a pet-friendly house plant on your hands.
Signs your dog or cat may have eaten a toxic plant
How your dog or cat reacts after eating a toxic plant depends on:
- what they’ve eaten
- how much they’ve eaten
- the breed
- their age
- any existing medical conditions.
Signs your four-legged critter has chowed down on your plants include vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and drooling. More severe symptoms of plant poisoning are seizures, fits, foaming at the mouth, problems breathing, organ failure, and lethargy.
If you think your cat or dog has munched on something they shouldn’t have (plant or otherwise), contact your local vet or the Animal Poison Control at 888.426.4435.
Play it safe. Stop your pets from eating plants
Even plants considered pet-safe can potentially cause trouble if your furry friend eats it in large quantities. To avoid damage and loss of your indoor plant babies, do your pet and your plant a favor. Keep them out of reach of each other.
Putting them up high where animals can’t get at them is a good rule of thumb. If you’re a cat owner this may be easier said than done. But if you have a dog, you may want to consider training so they learn that plants are off the menu.
Armed with this knowledge you can shop for indoor plants with confidence. Put together a list of the plants you’re interested in, and we’ll be happy to help you find them in our store.